cvsup problem Please Help

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Fri Sep 10 08:06:27 PDT 2004

--On Thursday, September 09, 2004 01:39:24 AM -0400 Lee Lispon
<lee at pogg.net> wrote:

> Hello. I am running FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE I have recently had a problem
> with  ports and cannot get the ports to download completely. Basically,
> in an effort to save space and exclude ports that I never need like x11,
> japanese, etc..

I did this once.  It isn't worth it.

Each port is about 24k in size.  They usually consist of a handful of
files.  The only ones that are larger are ones that you've built *if* you
don't "make clean" or "make distclean" after building the port.

When I build a port I always do it like this:

% make install clean

Not cvsupping all the ports leads to more problems than it solves.  If you
really don't have that much space, get another hard drive.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member