Problems with newsyslog

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Sep 10 07:03:26 PDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 02:35:11PM +0100, redmyrlin at eml.cc wrote:
> I have just acquired a new virtual server and have set up newsyslog.conf
> to mirror that on my old virtual server.  On my old server the logs are
> rotated and compressed without any problems.  The old server runs
> FreeBSD 4.9.
>
> The new server runs FreeBSD 4.10, and I'm getting the following errors
> reported by Cron
> -------
> newsyslog: can't notify daemon, pid 84000: Operation not permitted
> newsyslog: log /var/log/maillog.0 not compressed because daemon(s) not
> notified
> newsyslog: can't notify daemon, pid 43506: Operation not permitted
> newsyslog: log /var/log/ssl_engine_log.0 not compressed because
> daemon(s) not notified
> ------
>
> pid 84000 refers to /usr/sbin/syslogd -s
> pid 43506 refers to /usr/local/sbin/httpd -DSSL
>
> I cannot see any difference in way I have setup newsyslog and am at a
> loss to know how to proceed.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Usually this error message means that the daemon in question has died
or in some way been restarted so that the PID number that newsyslog
reads out of one of the files under /var/run has become bogus (in this
case. /var/run/sendmail.pid or /var/run/httpd.pid).  However, if
sendmail or apache httpd are running, and you haven't specifically
configured them not to, then they will write their PIDs into those
files.

The other possibility is that you are trying to run newsyslog using a
non-root UID, which means it will not be permitted to send signals to
arbitrary processes, or that the newsyslog process does not have
sufficient privileges to read those PID files.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way