incorrect time from sendmail (FBSD 5.3)

cscott at speakeasy.net cscott at speakeasy.net
Thu Sep 9 21:27:02 PDT 2004

Hi,

I can not get sendmail to use the correct timezone on my system. The timezone is set via tzsetup to PDT (localtime).  /etc/localtime exists. The system reports the correct time everywhere. The problem is that sendmail insists on using UTC. I have tried setting the cmos time to UTC, then configuring the timezone (via tzsetup) as PDT but having the cmos set to UTC. Sendmail still does not make the appropriate adjustment when creating it's header:

From: whoever at whereever.com

The sendmail .cf file is set to USE_TZ (default).  I have dug through newsgroups, faqs, howto, etc. and I can't find what is wrong. Is this a bug in 5.3 ?

TIA,
Casey