PS/2 mouse problem via kvm switch

Jerry Dunham jdunham at texas.net
Thu Sep 9 10:39:38 PDT 2004

On 9 Sep 2004 at 7:34, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

FWIW, I tried several brands of small KVMs and found that many work
most of the time but occasionally have problems with the rodent, this
with both Windows NT and FreeBSD.  This "occasionally" seems to
correspond to particular workstations more than OSes or mice (though I
didn't test rigorously), and in this case seemingly identical
workstations (Dells) differ.  I did not try Nova View.

When I found a brand of KVM that didn't offer this feature of
occasional flakiness I stuck with it, and now have about 10 IOgear
KVMs, mostly MiniView SEs of two, four or eight ports.  Note that we're
a small business and none of these are what you'd call "enterprise
class" KVMs, a market where Avocent, Raritan and Minicom are the
primary players.  We'll be going there soon.

The only issue I've seen that seems to be FreeBSD-related has been that
some FreeBSD machines seem to like to have the KVMs set to them when
they boot, though that doesn't seem to be consistent and I've not taken
the time to pin it down.  After booting they're fine.

--
Jerry Dunham
M3 Design, Inc.
jdunham at m3designinc.com