Installation without PS/2 Keyboard

David Aquilina dwaquilina at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 07:27:24 PDT 2004

So nobody has ever had this situation, ever? I find that hard to
believe. It's been said that sometimes the best way to get support is
to exclaim that "$FOO can do this but $BAR can't, $BAR sucks!" at
which point you will have people tripping over each other to offer
help, however that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I'll ask again:

- How does one prevent FreeBSD from using a keyboard which doesn't
really exist? I've tried what seems like sensible hints. variables
before booting, but it seems to ignore them.

- Failing the above, how does one use a serial console for
installation? The method provided in the freebsd handbook can't be
used as the machine is question doesn't have a floppy drive.