Which Release to Download?

R. W. list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Thu Sep 9 06:28:21 PDT 2004

On Thursday 09 September 2004 07:07, Younes Al-Hroub wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> I am a computer engineer and I want to learn the FreeBSD OS,
> and I do not have the FreeBSD software and when I have tried
> to download the FreeBSD software form your website, I found
> two Releases one called " New Technology Release: 5.2.1 "
> and the other called " Production Release: 4.10 " ,
> I got confused which Release to download ???

At this point, unless you have some critical application that needs the
proven stability of 4.x, I don't see a good reason for a new user to
start there. Given that you want it for learning, I would say the
choice is between 5.2.1  and waiting for 5.3 (which will be a full
production release) in a few weeks.

If you plan to use FreeBSD as your main desktop OS you might want to
wait for 5.3, otherwise the upgrade from 5.2.1 to 5.3 shouldn't be too
hard, and it's part of the learning process.