default directory for certs

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Wed Sep 8 08:34:34 PDT 2004

Hey all,

I recently upgraded my mail server using sendmail to use full
StartTLS/SSL, using a "real" (geotrust) certificate.

However, pine complains loudly at me that it cannot verify the
certificate.

A quick google search on the error yielded this page:

https://email.mtu.edu/docs/public/pine_ssl/

Now, the directions are straightforward enough, but I can't find the certs
directory.  A quick "locate" yields a bunch in
/usr/src/crypto/openssl/certs, but nothing in a "production" directory.
Are the standard root certs not installed by default?  Should they be?

*IF SO* What directory should I be using?

The FAQ file in /usr/src/crypto/openssl has this to say:

* Why does <SSL program> fail with a certificate verify error?

This problem is usually indicated by log messages saying something like
"unable to get local issuer certificate" or "self signed certificate".
When a certificate is verified its root CA must be "trusted" by OpenSSL
this typically means that the CA certificate must be placed in a directory
or file and the relevant program configured to read it. The OpenSSL
program 'verify' behaves in a similar way and issues similar error
messages: check the verify(1) program manual page for more information.

However, the verify man page isn't in the default manpath, either.

--

"this is too stupid even for irc"

-mtreal, EFnet #macintosh, 09/15/2K, 12:33 AM