pam_mail

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Sep 8 04:41:15 PDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 06:04:05PM -0500, Matthew Rench wrote:

> I would like an ssh login to produce the same check for new mail that
> /usr/bin/login does. (That is, "You have new mail." or similar printed out
> after login, unless ~/.hushlogin exists.) On my linux box, this is achieved
> using the pam_mail module. If I run "locate pam_mail" on my FreeBSD 4.10 box, I
> get the following:
>
>   % locate pam_mail
>   /usr/src/contrib/libpam/modules/pam_mail
>   /usr/src/contrib/libpam/modules/pam_mail/README
>
> Have I forgotten to install part of the source tree that I don't have any
> source for this module? Is there an easier way to get this module installed
> (e.g. one of the ports)? Or should I be going about this an altogether
> different way?

4.x uses the Linux libpam sources, but in 5.x that's been replaced by
OpenPAM -- in theory you can read all about OpenPAM at
http://www.openpam.org/, (but that seems to be denying access at the
moment) or http://sourceforge.net/projects/openpam/

Anyhow, for various reasons, not least easing the transition between
Linux libpam and OpenPAM, not all the facilities from libpam were
implemented under FreeBSD.  One of those missing parts is pam_mail.
So you're not going mad: that's the way it's supposed to work.

Unfortunately what's missing is a port of the missing bits of Linux
libpam.

One way of getting the 'new mail' notification for your ssh(1)
sessions would be to set 'UseLogin' in /etc/ssh/sshd_config -- see
sshd_config(5).

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way