new card, still can't get X11 working

Dustin dustin at marsik.org
Tue Sep 7 15:21:09 PDT 2004

I originally sent this to the XFree86 list, but thought I may get some useful insight if I sent it here.

	I had a SIS 6326, and had problems getting X11 up and running, so went
	to the store, and picked up an ATI Radeon 9200SE.

	Then I rebuilt the system, here's the info:

	ids# uname -a

	FreeBSD ids.marsik.org 5.2.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Feb
	23 20:45:55 GMT 2004
	root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

	Immediately after install, I updated the ports tree using cvsup, then
	updated the ports by running:

	Portsdb -uU
	Pkgdb -u
	Portversion -v
	Portupgrade -varRp -x openoffice
	Portsclean -CDD

	I then installed xorg from ports and configured xorg using both methods
	specified by the handbook, which were:

	The 'Xorg -configure' method &
	The xorgconfig method

	When I run 'startx', the system hangs.

	Is there a magical video card I can buy to alleviate these issues?  I
	need to get past this point and get to what I'm really trying to do.

	Any help is much appreciated.

	Dustin
	Ps, the xorg log is attached