IP Filter on FreeBSD 5.2.1

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Tue Sep 7 14:51:24 PDT 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:12:23 +0100, Wayne Pascoe
<freebsd-feb at penguinpowered.org wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 08:07:34PM +0200, Remko Lodder wrote:
>
> > I think you missed this option:
> >
> > options         PFIL_HOOKS              # pfil(9) framework
> >
> > in your kernel config file..
> >
> > Try it and see it's magic ;)
>
> Thanks a bunch - that did the trick. I've checked the doc I used to do
> this, and it wasn't mentioned. I'll submit something to the maintainer
> tomorrow.

The maintainer is likely to direct you to this entry in 5.2.1's
/usr/src/UPDATING:

20030925:
	Configuring a system to use IPFILTER now requires that PFIL_HOOKS
	also be explicitly configured.  Previously this dependency was
	magically handled through some cruft in net/pfil.h; but that has
	been removed.  Building a kernel with IPFILTER but not PFIL_HOOKS
	will fail with obtuse errors in ip_fil.c.

(It's a good idea to look in /usr/src/UPDATING before updating your
system.)

Cheers,

Paul.
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu