named[353]: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS ..........

Robert Eckardt Robert.Eckardt at Robert-Eckardt.de
Tue Sep 7 05:41:15 PDT 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:07:05 +0300, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:00:47 +0300
> Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu at apropo.ro> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > From time to time I get this:
> >
> > Sep  7 12:57:44 it named[353]: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS
(d.root-servers.net)
> > Sep  7 12:57:44 it named[353]: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS
(a.root-servers.net)
> > Sep  7 12:57:44 it named[353]: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS
(c.root-servers.net)

Hi,

I had the same problem a while ago.
I had configured my ISP's name-server (actually several of them) to
forward requests to. It happened that one of them became unreachable.
>From (just quickly) looking at the source, I found that named ends in
this very loop as it does not try to actually request adresses for the
root name-servers but rather writes out error messages.
The funny thing was that the forwarders are managed in the same list
as the root servers.
After removing any forwarders from my named-config and relying
completely on the root servers I never had the problem again.
(Before this it happend after a few hours up to several weeks of
named's run-time.)

Regards,
Robert