data backup software for freebsd

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Sep 7 05:10:04 PDT 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Ralph M. Los wrote:
> From: Warren Block [mailto:wblock at wonkity.com]
>
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Ralph M. Los wrote:
>
> >  Sorry to throw this in - but does anyone have any experience with
> > commercial, Win32-based backup software backing up Samba shares on
> > FreeBSD?  I have BackupExec running, on a tape library Win2k box,
> > and I have my file-server a FreeBSD 5.2.1 machine running Samba
> > 2.2.8a.
> >  I'm still learning BSD so please bear with my possibly stupid
> > question... Why does the Win2k box always backup the full share, even
> > though I have differential backup selected?
>
> [Note: other mailing lists removed from CC list.]
>
> One guess: you haven't configured Samba to map the Windows permission
> bits to Unix permission bits.  So the backup can't use the archive
> bits to include only files that have changed.
>
> Warren - Yes!  Ok, so how?

[Format recovered--please don't top-post, as it makes replying
difficult.  It's also customary to include questions at freebsd.org in the
CC list for threads that originated there, so followups make it into the
archives.]

These are settings in the smb.conf file.  I don't recall the exact ones,
but the Samba documentation has information on it.  Check either
samba.org or the local documentation, and SWAT probably has a convenient
link to it.