Installation without PS/2 Keyboard

David Aquilina dwaquilina at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 21:17:31 PDT 2004

Greetings,

I've googled around to try and find a solution, but so far nothing has
worked.  I have a system here I'd like to install FreeBSD
5.2.1-RELEASE on (an AMD64 system) however it only has USB ports, no
PS/2 ports. Additionally, there's no floppy disk drive present in the
system, so the instructions in the handbook for using a serial console
won't work.  As a result of this, once the kernel actually loads and
the sysinstall program starts, the system ignores the USB keyboard.

I attempted booting from the FreeBSD installation CD, dropping to the
boot loader prompt, and setting the following variables:

hint.atkbd.0.disable=1
hint.atkbdc.0.disable=1

I've also tried disabling ACPI , and "toggle-module ukbd".

Finally, I tried the above both with USB Legacy Emulation both enabled
and disabled in the BIOS, with seemingly no effect.

Any hints?

Thanks!

--
David Aquilina