Web browsing

JJB Barbish3 at adelphia.net
Mon Sep 6 07:01:00 PDT 2004

owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:
> Um, I know this is going to sound stupid, but I am completely
> dumbfounded as to how I can runa web browser in FreeBSD. I got so
> frustrated that I didn't know how to use FreeBSD and the fact that
> Elmira is a Windows city was completely agitating me, so I ended
up
> uninstalling FreeBSD from my main hardrive, re-installed Windows,
and
> I am e-mailing you guys for help, but don't fret, I have not left
> FreeBSD high and dry. I am going to install it onto my very old
261MB
> SeaGate HDD. But if I am going to use FreeBSD I need help getting
> used to it. Like, for example, how do I run a program, let's say
> Netscape for example. Please do help! I have always heard good
> reports about UNIX based OSes like FreeBSD. Thank-you.

You probably want elinks a text only browser. It runs from the
console
without xwindows and is so small that it will fit on your small hard
drive

Install it from /usr/ports/www/elinks. Run it
like this: 'elinks http://www.google.com'.

If you want a console graphical browser that works without X.
Run , pkg_add -vr svgalib  to install SVGAlib. Then install port
/usr/ports/www/links and change install compile options to use
svgalib instead of the default xwindows.
run it like this: links -g -mode 640x480x64k http://www.google.com