is there an 'open-source' RealPlayer?

kstewart kstewart at owt.com
Sat Sep 4 23:44:02 PDT 2004

On Saturday 04 September 2004 11:04 pm, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 07:43:04PM -0700, kstewart wrote:

> > >  Not a plugin but whatever jdk-* supports java in its
> > >  many uses.  javascript and whatever else.  On my laptop
> > >  I have netscape7 which appears to come with everything
> > >  pre-built and -installed.  Given my druthers, I rather
> > >  use mozilla.
> >
> > I have java running in mozilla. Did you also install
> > linuxpluginwrapper-20040831 and follow the instructions?
>
>  No.  I haven't tried any non-Linux port for months.
>  The linux-* ports are painful--fetching the jdk|sdk
>  ports are doubly hard to find.  But evventually
>  (almost) everything does work.
>
>  Can you check your pkg list and list the mozilla
>  and java ports?  --If thr linuxpluginwrapper will
>  magically make FBSD mozilla work:: WOW!

The thing is that RealPlayer, Adobe, flash, and etc. or all linux apps. I
think the wrapper is just as important as the x-wrapper is to run as
non-root.

When I installed it, and followed the instructions, I could use acrobat, and
some of the flash/shockwave stuff in both konqueror and mozilla. Realplay
never showed up in the plugin list for mozilla but I can go to a site that
has *.ram files and click them and hear the music.

 Konqueror is really anal when it comes to getting rid of kmplayer as the
defautl. I can also visit the same site as mozilla and play the *.ram files.

The thing is that I moved rpnp.so into so many places that I don't know what
made mozilla work. I got the idea from the links in the about plugin link on
mozilla > help. It was basically any place that locate claimed to be a
mozilla plugin directory. It was finally - well, I give up, let see what it
does and it worked. I don't have a clue what fixed it because I was looking
for it in the plugin list and it never showed up.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA