portindex/portindexdb

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Sep 4 07:10:53 PDT 2004

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 11:08:49AM +0100, Steve Hodgson wrote:

> > FWIW, portindexdb will generate INDEX-5.db just fine on 5-current. It
> > doesn't have the problem with ruby bus erroring like portsdb -u does.

> This also works for me on 5.2.1-p9. Am I missing something in asking why
> couldn't "portsdb -u" be replaced by portindex? Obviously this couldn't
> happen now with the code-freeze for 5.3, but for 5.4?

The question would seem to be moot now.  As of this morning portsdb is
able to build an INDEX.db once again.  Although I cannot see exactly
what was committed in order to make that work.

Since both portindex and protupgrade are 3rd party tools, and neither
are likely to be committed either to the base system or to become part
of the official ports infrastructure[1], it's entirely up to you which
one you choose.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[1] In the grand tradition of cvsup(1), it seems that any insanely
useful tools for managing ports will be written in languages other
than those provided as standard.

                                                      Savill Way