Tape drive

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Sep 3 11:57:41 PDT 2004

> On Sep 3, 2004, at 11:56 AM, Joe Stuart wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to backup to tape, but everything I try I get device not
> > configured.
> >
> > tar -c /home/joe
> > tar: /dev/sa0: Cannot open: Device not configured
> >
> > mt -f /dev/sa0 rewind
> > mt: /dev/sa0: Device not configured
> >
> > The device is on and loaded with tapes. Below is the output that is in
> > the messages log when the server boots, so I'm assuming the server sees
> > the tape drive alright. Any help is appreciated.
>
> "tapes" plural? Its a jukebox/changer? If so then the problem is that
> you haven't completed the process to cause a tape to load in the drive.
> Can't help other than recommending the man page for ch(4).
>
> I have a similar Archive SCSI DAT drive which produces the same "Device
> not configured" message when a tape is not loaded, or not yet ready
> after being inserted.

I will add my 'me too' here.  On some machines, we get that with
various models of DAT drives.   Generally, though, it is with our
program that writes a header file directly to the tape before
the backup.   Then, if I switch it to use tar to write the header
file, it works OK.   But, sometimes even the tar won't write.
I really suspect there is some weirdness in the driver vs the
controller for some tape drives that isn't handled well.  But, I
am not up to tinking the drivers.

////jerry