bash = default

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Sep 3 07:23:00 PDT 2004

> Hello,
> sorry but i'm more confortable with bash,

Oh, that's so sad...

>                so
> how can i obtain my bash -i on the login ?
> (Without doing a 'bash -i' after the login.)

Just change the login shell in the /etc/passwd file.
use vipw(8) to edit the /etc/passwd file and replace the last field
with /usr/local/bin/bash   (or whatever its full path is)
 (don't edit /etc/passwd with regular vi or vim or emacs or
 whatever, use vipw to make sure it locks things correctly and
 updates the database when needed)

I have never tried using a flag on the shell in the /etc/passwrd file
so I don't know what the -i will do to it.   You might have to add
some quoting.

You can also use chsh(1) to make the edit.

////jerry