Question about Wireless USB Adapter

Vince Hoffman jhary at unsane.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 15:22:36 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] wrote:

> On Thursday 02 September 2004 05:53, Will Lieu wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >   I was just wondering if FreeBSD is going/does it support the following
> > Wireless USB Adapter: Netgear MA111.  If not do you know where I can get
> > the drivers for this?  I've searched around around and seemed to come up
> > empty. Your reply would be greatly appreciated.
> As far as I could find, your device is based on the Prism-2 chipset.
> Linux claims to support the device with the wlan-ng driver, but as far as I
> know, FreeBSD doesn't have support for it (at this moment).

from man wi

The wi driver provides support for wireless network adapters based around
     the Lucent Hermes, Intersil PRISM-II, Intersil PRISM-2.5, Intersil
     Prism-3, and Symbol Spectrum24 chipsets.  All five chipsets provide a
     similar interface to the driver.

however i have no idea if this includes USB adapters, the only usb
wireless driver i came across (or ever looked for for that matter) for
Freebsd was for Atmel based USB WLAN adapters
http://vitsch.net/bsd/atuwi/
it seemed to work quite well when i tried it.
YMMV

Vince