logging all logins with periodic

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 09:41:55 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 03:34:25PM +0000, meads594 at comcast.net wrote:
> I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.10 on a machine at home. Since it is exposed to the internet (and since I am the only one who should be logging into it), I would like to have a summary log of all logins (both failed and successful).
>
> "periodic" shows the the failed logins in the daily summary, but I would also like a summary of the successful logins. I've "google"-ed, checked the list archives, and looked at the period.conf man page, but I can't seem to find a way to do what I want. However, I'm sure I'm not the first person to want this functionality.
>
> Can periodic be used to get a summary of successful logins? Is there a different utility that exists?

I don't think the periodic scripts have that capability.  However,
it's fairly simple to get a list of all logins on the system (except,
for some unknown reason those logins via xdm(1) and similar graphical
login managers).

The command to use is last(1) -- note by default that reads
/var/log/wtmp which is recycled each month via newsyslog(8).  You can
edit the /etc/daily.local script to get that output included in your
daily e-mails.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way