5.1, 5.2, or 5.3???

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 11:30:12 PDT 2004

Well there are two ways to answer this question:

Official way:

Well buddy 5.* is stil not stable. So you should not put in on your
production boxes. Since there are high chances that things may blow
up.

Unofficial way:

5.* is pretty old now and has been well tested. IU have run 5.2.1-R on
my systems and I am very satisfied with it. Also 5.* is scheduled to
become stabe since 5.3. 5.3 is already in BETA2, so it should not be
long. In my opinion you can safely run 5.2.1 on your production boxes.

Select the way which apears more seductive to you ;-)

Regards
S.

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 10:58:20 -0700, Curtis Vaughan <curtis at npc-usa.com> wrote:
> So, I have been told that I shouldn't put 5.x on a production box, but
> on the other hand I need pam_ldap, nss_ldap support on my box, which I
> have also been told is only available in 5.x.  Whereas this is to be a
> Postfix server, I would like to know, which version of 5.x should I
> install, or perhaps there is a way to use linux emulation for pam and
> nss under 4.x?  If, however, 5.x I must install, which would people
> recommend and what problems will I be facing by putting it into
> production?
>
> Curtis

Subhro Sankha Kar
School of Information Technology