Hardware Recommendations (UK)

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Sep 1 08:41:12 PDT 2004

Graham Bentley wrote:

>Hi
>
>Can anyone recommend a good solid
>mobo for building a little web server ?

Most brands have a reputation.  Select one
whose reputation is "good".  ;-)

I have FreeBSD running on several mobos
--- recently, builds have been FreeBSD 5.x
on MSI and Shuttle (AK32V, IIRC).

A good, not too long read on the subject
(that you may have already seen) is at:

     http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/CURRENT/hardware/i386/proc.html

(Link may have wrapped).

>Is it worth paying the extra for Intel
>manufactured ?

That's up to you.  It's not for me --- and
most of our CPU's are AMD as well.  But
they wouldn't be the biggest if they made
shoddy hardware (or would they...?)

Maybe I'm a "cheapo" ... I certainly love
the cost of this OS...as well as lots of other
stuff about it; I don't tend to drop more cash
just for a name, though.  YMMV, of course,
and there are plenty of other opinions; I
hope some of them will be heard here and
be helpful to you.

>Thanks !

You're welcome.

Kevin Kinsey