hardware for onboard/WiFi NICs and chipset

John DeStefano deesto at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 07:02:38 PDT 2004

For those interested: I cured the system of its boot problem by
disabling ACPI.  There are two ways to do this: by appending the
following text to /boot/device.hints:
  hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"

...or by selecting "Boot with ACPI disabled" (choice 2) from the FBSD
boot menu.  Note that when you do this while booting on install, the
script recognizes your selection and prompts you to choose whether
you'd like to disable ACPI permanently.

Regarding the onboard and wireless NICs: the solution seems to be an
implementation of NDIS by Bill Paul that interprets Windows .INF and
.SYS driver files.  The documentation I've found for this module points
to the locations /sys/modules/ndis or /usr/src/sys/compat/ndis/ .
These locations do not exist on my installed system, and I can't reach
beyond the scope of the system to cvsup or grab them from a remote
location.  I just Googled and found that NDIS has its own SF project,
so I'll throw what I can find on a floppy and go from there.  If anyone
has experience with implementing this package or tips to pass on,
please do.

I also noted two other errors during install/boot on I hope someone can
shed some light:

During initial boot: "MProbe table : MP table has bad sig : : "

During "all source" install, particularly during XFree86 install
(multiple sequential occurances):
"acd0: failure - READ_BIG status=51<READY, DISC, ERROR> sensekey=medium
error ERROR = 0"

I see that the second error has been posted before, but I don't see a
solution/resultion.

Thanks for your help.
~John

http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=196