why is there no d partition

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Sep 1 01:14:28 PDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 02:31:22PM +0800, H. Sandring wrote:

> I am wondering why there is never a "d" partition showing up in my
> disklabels (e.g. ad0s1d).
> Is there something special about it?

No.  Nothing special about the 'd' partition.

The special partitions are 'a' -- assumed to contain the root
filesystem, 'b' -- assumed to be a swap partition and 'c' -- not used
actively, but a synonym for the whole slice surface.  The specialness
of 'c' is no longer necessary, and hasn't been so for some years since
the reorganisation of disk devices to the

    /dev/da0s1a

style, where /dev/da0s1 would do the job.  However so much software
assumes that 'c' is the whole slice that it's impossible to eliminate
entirely.

'd' would be the last partition allocated by sysinstall (I think),
after 'e', 'f', 'g', 'h' -- maybe you just haven't been creating
partitions per disk to see them.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way