Oracle 8i on FreeBSD 5.1

Jon Adams jkadams at computer.org
Sun Oct 31 13:32:45 PST 2004

Michael L. Squires wrote:

> Search the freebsd-messages mailing list, I think there is a web site
> which discusses Oracle installations later than 7.x.

I am using a tutorial I found using this method, but this person's
install didn't run into the ins_precomp.mk bug which requires the glibc
stubs, so it is rather unclear how to proceed.  I really would like to
proceed with the install this way, the error seems to be something that
can be fixed by a -L/compat/linux/lib somewhere.  I just cannot figure
out where.

> The other method I've seen discussed is to set up a LINUX box and
> install on that onto an NFS mounted directory (which has the same
> directory path
> on both the FreeBSD and LINUX boxes.

I  also have heard this, and it will be my last course of action, but I
am really hoping to avoid doing it this way

> Installation of 9i and 10g are covered for various LINUX distributions on
> the site www.puschitz.org; the RH ES3 instructions work fine for at
> least one RH ES3 clone, WhiteBox LINUX.  All the instructions I've
> seen call for installing different versions of various things, such
> the the libraries; apparently Oracle looks for very specific versions
> during the install.

I have installed on Linux before, thanks for the information, as far as
9i or 10g, as I said previously, unfortunately,  I am locked into  8i,
it is the only version that will meet my needs.  My hardware is not
strong enough for 9i, and it will be a while before I can upgrade the
box to something that will run 9i nicely.  When I installed on the 2.4
Linux kernel in the past, it was, to say the least difficult (a 4 day
process of googling and tinkering).  I am somewhat shocked that noone
has run into this in the past, and further why Oracle refuses to support
FreeBSD natively (at least with the newer releases).

> I've never tried the installation under FreeBSD, postgreSQL is more than
> sufficient for me needs (since I don't need to run any Oracle-based
> clients).

Postgres is a very solid database, and I like it alot, but I pretty much
need oracle's functionality as I will be replicating databases from
another Oracle machine elsewhere.  I dont want to have to modify stored
procedures and queries to handle differences in the RDBMS.

believed to be clean.