howto software raid under FreeBSD?

Matthias F. Brandstetter haimat at lame.at
Sun Oct 31 10:01:27 PST 2004

---------- quoting Emanuel Strobl ----------
> Why going outside and searching the internet?
> You have a complete operating system, and it's one of the best
> documented out there. Just 'man ata', 'man atacontrol' and 'man
> gmirror'. Remember that FreeBSD isn't just a hacked kernel with lots of
> stuff arround without any sense, it's standardized an documented! ;)

Ok, I looked at "man gmirror", but found nothing for my 5.2.1 system. As
you mentioned, gmirror is for 5.3 only.

I missed "man atacontrol", sorry for this. Now I've looked at its man page,
looks good. Only one problem: man page says that I can only rebuild an
RAID1 array on RAID capable ATA controllers. But I have no such "real" ATA
controller. How can I replace a faulty disk with atacontrol on a normal
ATA controller then?

Thanks for your help, Emanuel!
Greetings, Matthias

--
You don't know what it's like -- I'm the one out there every day
putting his ass on the line.  And I'm not out of order!  You're out of

  -- Homer Simpson
     Secrets of a Successful Marriage