Pthreads Bug & Bacula

jason jason at ec.rr.com
Sat Oct 30 14:51:32 PDT 2004

Drew Tomlinson wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if or when the pthreads bug was fixed in version
> 4?  Google searches show some indication it was fixed in 4.9 and other
> information that it was fixed in 4.10.  I'm running 4.9-RELEASE-p4.
>
> Currently I'm following the instructions in pthreads-fix.txt but with
> my DLT30 drive, I can see this will take many hours.  I would really
> appreciate it if someone can save me the time.  :)  I will upgrade to
> 4.10 if I need to but would rather not if I don't have to.  I don't
> want to fix what isn't broken!  :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Drew

I was just updating my system yesterday and ran into the pthread bug.  I
had updated libxml2 and it was compiled with pthreads.  To fix it I
removed /var/db/ports/libxml2/options.  When I recompiled it asked for a
config, and I told it no pthreads.  Now it works fine.  So to answer
your question the "bug" was never fixed because it is a design
implementation issue.  FreeBSD just exposes it right away instead of far
off randomly in the future when you have long uptime(had to do with pids
being recycled) so the general rule was disable them.

Hope this helps.