SMP with hyperthreading CPU (5.3)?

Ewald Jenisch a at jenisch.at
Sat Oct 30 07:32:11 PDT 2004

Hi,

I've got a 3GHz P4 system with hyperthreading enabled in the BIOS. For
this system I've built a SMP-kernel (kernel config-file "SMP" that
comes with 5.3).

However SMP doesn't seem to be enabled - at least I don't seen the
usual messages like "CPU ... launched" that's common with SMP
configurations.

The only thing I'm seeing are the following entries during boot:

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2992.71-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf34  Stepping = 4
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,C
MOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Hyperthreading: 2 logical CPUs

Neither does "top" show anything about a second (logical) cpu being
active, nor does ps.

So do I have two logical CPUs active on this system?

If not - what should I do besides enabling "SMP" in the kernel config
file (sure enough "cpu I386_CPU" which effectively disables SMP is
commented out)

Thanks much in advance for any hints,
-ewald