Accessing partitions using FIXIT/Live-System-CDROM?

Ewald Jenisch a at jenisch.at
Sat Oct 30 06:15:32 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 06:34:59PM -0400, jason wrote:

> Search the current archives for a new feature with atacontrol, I think
> its in this program.  It will scan a disk and recover any data it can.
> Sounds like what you need.

Hi Jason,

Thanks much for the hint! Unfortunately my data is on a SCSI
disk. Nevertheless I found the solution myself in the meantime:

The reason I couldn't mount the partitions, even after generating
device nodes for them (like ad0s1e,...) was that I didn't do a fsck
first. The solution came to me after I discovered that I could mount
the partitions readonly, but not r/w. So I fsck-ed them, with fsck
fixing some things then I could mount the partitions.

Thanks neverthelss for the hint with atacontrol - I'll keep in in my
records since you never know when disaster strikes again...

Cheers,
-ewald