throttling cpu speed to run cooler

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Sat Oct 30 06:07:08 PDT 2004

Dear All,

I've been looking for a utility to reduce cpu speed to make my laptop
run cooler. Ideally, it should reduce cpu speed to about 20% when speed
is not needed, and restore speed to 100% when the load requires it.

There is such a utility for Linux, called powernowd:

http://www.deater.net/john/powernowd.html

Using this with Debian, my cpu temperature drops by about 15 degrees
Celsius!

I'm just wondering if a utility similar to powernowd already exists for
FreeBSD? I did search the mailing list archives and found some talk
about developing just such a program, but never found out if it was
finally done, and what the said package might be called.

regards,
Robert