make buildworld.........24 hours????

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Oct 30 05:37:53 PDT 2004

Brian Bobowski wrote:
> Chuck Swiger wrote:
>> Using -j is recommended only when you have lots of memory and can keep
>> all of the processes resident in memory.  Trying to run a parallel
>> build on a low-memory machine is almost certainly going to be much
>> slower, since you are going to swap more, not less.
[ ... ]
> Ah, thanks for the clarification. I'd seen it cited as a way to deal
> with the delay caused by file access, but I guess it does make sense
> that it would apply to the actual filesystem rather than swap.

There's that point, too.  FreeBSD will happily cache all of the header files
and such in memory if it can, rather than re-reading them from disk all of the
time.  Adding more memory to this machine will do more for your dollar to
improve the performance of the system, then anything else you can do.

--
-Chuck