5.2.1, installed Mozilla -- X reverses background colors when used!!

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Oct 30 01:58:27 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 12:59:52PM -0700, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
> At Fri, 29 Oct 2004 it looks like Volker Eckert composed:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 05:57:59AM -0700, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
> > > I have run 5.2.1 successfully on many machines and X is actually
> > > working fine except when I use Mozilla as installed from ports.
> > >
> > > The whole background turns into a "negative" and so does the Mozilla
> > > browser.  All returns to normal once I exit Mozilla.
> >
> > since nobody else replied... my 2 cents:
> > maybe your X is running with too few colours? is it changing the
> > colours when you change the focus?
>
> Thanks for your reply,
>
> What happens is "all is fine" with Opera, and Konqueror web
> browsers but once I start Mozilla, all hell breaks loose...
>
> It's like looking at a negative of a picture, whites turn black
> and the reversal of all colors, I can't describe to you the color
> changes for I was never aware of how much whole desktop can
> change.
>
> I mean EVERYTHING including the toolbars etc.
>
> I may go and install 4.10 and see what happens.  4.10 failed to
> install when the installation kernel hit the parallel port...
> Install/Kernel just wedged shut.

This sounds to me as if you're simply using a display which isn't
running at least 24bit colour depth.  All that's happening is that
Mozilla is installing its own colour map in the X server -- so when
you move your mouse pointer into or out of the Mozilla window, your
whole display switches from the default colour map to the Mozilla
colour map or back again.  ie.  it's not a bug.  It's a feature of
your graphics setup.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way