Apache 2.0.52 help

Danny MacMillan flowers at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Oct 29 22:37:36 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 10:28:21PM -0600, Clay wrote:
>             I just did a default install of FreeBSD 4.10 and used
> CVSup to download the newest port of Apache (2.0.52), did a make,
> then make install everything looked like it went well. Used
> /usr/local/sbin/apachectl start, to start up the httpd and put this
> line in to my /etc/rc.conf so it will start up when the server
> boots.

Does this describe everything you did to the machine?  In particular,
would it be correct to assume that you didn't install or configure a
firewall on the box, edit hosts.allow, or do anything else that might
have a deleterious effect on traffic?  Does the box answer to only
one IP address?  More to the point, does netstat -f inet show that
httpd is listening to the address you are trying to connect to?
Does it have more than one interface, and if so, is the same
interface receiving requests from both the machine that can see the
web site and the one that can't?

The other box, the one fed from the different ISP, is it able to
connect to other web sites?  Do you have any other testing boxes
you can use to try connecting to your web site?

Adding DNS entries for the box will not aid in troubleshooting,
unless you're using name-based virtual hosting in Apache.  That seems
unlikely since you can access the site by IP from the same subnet.

The Windows box you had operating as a server, was it running a
web server?  If not, is it possible that your upstream ISP is blocking
port 80?  Try configuring Apache to listen on a wonky port and
connecting to that instead.

--
Danny