Using extra patches with the ports collection and qmail-mysql

CHris Rich freebsdnews at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 07:46:24 PDT 2004

Here's the story...

I'm trying to compile qmail-mysql with a new patch that I have found.
We've got a test mail server set up explicitly for trying this. Did
some googling and asked a question on here earlier about how exactly
you get a patch to compile with the ports collection. The answer was
to put into the files folder of the port you are trying to install.
Well qmail-mysql did not have the particular directory but after
looking into the qmail directory I found such a folder. (This is after
doing a make fetch WITH_BIG_CONCURRENCY=yes and make extract in the
qmail-mysql port). We put our patch into the
/usr/ports/mail/qmail/files directory and then did a make install.
Once that was finished and finishing the other tasks of getting qmail
to work we find that the patch didn't compile. It didn't do what we
thought it would do.

So my question is this...what did we do wrong? Should the patch have
been somewhere else? This is the patch we were trying to use:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/humungusfungus/code/validrcptto.html
Version of FreeBSD is 5.2.1.

Thanks in advance