GPL vs BSD Licence

TM4525 at aol.com TM4525 at aol.com
Fri Oct 29 07:23:16 PDT 2004

In a message dated 10/28/04 9:16:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
davids at webmaster.com writes:
>   But then, I'm not sure (and I mean it) if there can be any piece of
> software which, if designed for e.g. Linux, can be written w/o using any
> system headers, libraries or whatsoever.
------------------

I find it impossible for any reasonable person to believe that, by making its
header files available  an O/S vendor therefore owns the rights to anything
that runs on, or interoperates with the O/S. So Microsoft owns Photoshop.
And Netscape too. So why are they fighting?

Its been fairly well established that Lawyers know a lot about law but not
much about computing. You can't apply copyright law verbatim  to an
operating system,  because unlike a written work, the operating systems
entire purpose is to provide hooks for external applications and device
drivers. Claiming that anything that works with it is a "derivative" is,
quite
simply, ridiculous.

The GPL is a myth. It will never be tested because if it is, it will lose all
of
its teeth. Its much more useful in a speculative state.