BIND 9 and BIND 8 Transfers?

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Fri Oct 29 06:01:45 PDT 2004

Enrique Ayesta Perojo writes:

>  Hello, i have recently installed a new FreeBSD 5.3 RC1 to replace
>  our internal cache dns master server, so it has installed BIND 9,
>  on another machine we have currently installed BIND 8. Does
>  anybody of you know if the transfer of zones between the two
>  versions are compatible?

	If you mean across-the-wire: Bind 9 supports all the essential
features of Bind 8, but may vary in details.  The two are
interoperable as far as I lnow.
	If you mean "will my Bind 8 zone files work with Bind 9": yes,
with minor changes.  See the Bind 9 A.R.M., or find a conversion
guide on the Web.

					Robert Huff