Software or hardware RAID1. (gstripe)

Thordur I. thib at mi.is
Fri Oct 29 05:44:12 PDT 2004

Subhro wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:39:36 +0000, Thordur I. <thib at mi.is> wrote:
>

>>I think I will go for a hardware raid controler (RAID5 sounds good, but
>>my budget doesn´t really allow me to buy 2x new disks ;).
>>

>Well, I would say... postpond your RAID for a few weeks and gather the
>money to buy the disks. On a mission critical system, a RAID -5 is
>really worth in both stability, performance and fault tolerance.
>

>>Btw. What hardware raid controlers (sata) do you listmembers recommend ?
>>

>There are very few things which really dont work under FreeBSD. Just
>some work out of the box and some needs a little attention like a
>misbehaved kid. The fact is, the more bucks you throw in, the better
>facilities u get.
>

>>I have read some positive things about the 3ware 9xxx and 8xxx series (a
>>thread on -stable)
>>

>Yeh, they work almost out of the box without any requirement for tweaking.

Actually, my situation is not "mission-critcal", still in a way it is. I
have decided to go for a RAID5 controler (3ware 9xxxx) and simple wait a
few weeks until I have gatherd the funds :)

When you say "almost" out of the box what do you mean ?
I think I´m right when I say that there are drivers ready for the 3ware
cards so I do not see why there are any proplems besides overstepping
the learning curve.

Anyway I think you and the other listmembers again for there input.