what KERNEL entry for an AWE64?

Brian Bobowski bbobowski at cogeco.ca
Thu Oct 28 17:12:04 PDT 2004

Gary Kline wrote:

>	Seems to be a PnP card.  I just tried snd_driver; no joy, so will
>	try the sb16 next.  Trying to use mplayerplugin.  Maybe have to
>	settle for realplayer.
>
>	-g

Mixer settings could be at fault if you're hearing no sound; my SB Live
was VERY quiet under FreeBSD. Watch the kernel messages(via tty0 or
checking dmesg) for the success/failure of the driver loading. Also, you
can "cat /dev/random > /dev/dsp" to do a quick sound-check from the console.

If you're running FreeBSD 5.x(which would be the case if snd_driver
existed but didn't help), the device should be created automatically if
it succeeds, and you can "cat /dev/sndstat" for info. If 4.x(which just
uses "snd" not "snd_driver"), you may have to create a device node,
which is something I have no experience with.

If none of this works, you might want to check the HARDWARE.TXT file for
your version of FreeBSD(should be on the installation media). Not only
will this let you know the card is supported, it might offer some
insight as to the driver?

HTH, I can't presently think of anything more.

-BB