dummynet

James Skinner james at tunasafedolphin.org
Thu Oct 28 14:16:35 PDT 2004

> In a message dated 10/28/04 12:52:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> james at tunasafedolphin.org writes:
>>>Funny, I thought that's what Dummynet did.  It seems that you wouldn't
>>want to steer a user into a horribly overpriced closed-source
>>rate-limiting solutuion when it's available for free in the OS.
>
>>BTW: Nice email addr. ;)
> ----------------------------
> Ah, but its not really "available" for free, because the free ones don't
> work
> well, aren't supported and don't scale. Plus it seems that unless you
> value your time at $2./hr its already cost you more than the $800. to try
> use the "free" stuff. Are you planning on completely rewriting it yourself
> using dummynet as the code base? What good is open source if
> the entire code base is nowhere near as good as what you can buy?
> You would really struggle with an inadequate open source solution
> rather than pay for something that works?

> And I wouldn't talk about email addresses, mr "so liberal I can't function
> normally in society". AOL buffers the 99% of mails I have no interest in
> reading, I can just block the domains of lists I dont feel like dealing
> with at any given time without having to unsubscribe and subscribe,
> and it uses no disk space or bandwidth in the process. Its ideal (except
> for the darned reader).
>

> TM

I agree with some of that, but unless the person has the money to spend,
then using dummnynet is acceptable. Not everyone can drop 10+ grand on a
nokia firewall that has everything packaged into a nice gui.

Regarding the email addr:

If you look further, you'll the wink (I was ribbing you). Similar to
another  one of threads. Obviously, you can dish it out, but can't take
it. I have seen your past replys; you offer nothing but abuse. Do you sit
around and wait for a newbie to ask a question so you can make him/her
feel stupid for asking it?

Thx