Firewall and nmap

Florian Hengstberger e0025265 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Oct 27 02:26:05 PDT 2004

Hi!

I'm compiled a Kernel using the GENERIC config-file that
comes with the default 5.2.1 installation adding support
for ipfw.
I tried to scan my computer with a linux machine running nmap,
but nmap tells me that the host seems to be down altough I was able
to ping the freebsd-host.
So I flushed all rools for the firewall with ipfw flush (the still
existing default rule enables all trafic because I compiled this in
my kernel, ipfw -c list told me that this is true.)
Anyway, nothing changes, all ports seem to be closed running nmap,
pings are successfull again!

1) What's wrong with my configuration?
2) I've tried to add all kernel options to this mail using the online
handbook from www.freeebsd.org. I realized that the firewall section
covers now the OpenBSD filter pf. WhatŽs the state of the art?
How do I enable pf under 5.2.1 - package or port?
3) Is there something similar like nmap or is there a BSD-network scanner,
which usage is recommended?

Thanks in advance,
Florian

Florian Hengstberger