GPL vs BSD Licence

Gert Cuykens gert.cuykens at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 21:58:32 PDT 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:50:16 EDT, tm4525 at aol.com <tm4525 at aol.com> wrote:
> In a message dated 10/26/04 2:26:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> flowers at users.sourceforge.net writes:
> > Foundation, who is the copyright holder of the GPL license itself.
> > In fact, the FSF advises authors to transfer copyright rights of their
> > work to the FSF to avoid these problems.
>
> >Ah, so your point is that people should transfer their copyrights to an
> >organization dedicated to keeping the code free.  Well, maybe they
> should,>but that has nothing to do with which license is used.
>
> I think they both have it wrong. If you want to donate your code to
> the general community, make it available with no restrictions. The
> entire concept of "here, use my crappy code but don't make any
> money off of it" is totally lame. If someone takes it and doesn't
> give away the changes it doesn't diminish the original contribution.
> Its still there.
>
> Finishing a product is what has value. Anyone can write code that does
> this or that. Making it into something that someone is willing to pay
> for is what has value. And the more products that are available, the
> better off the community is. Even if they're not free. You still have
> the choice of paying for it or not. And you still have the original
> contribution to change as you please.

If you buy a product what would you want ? A pretty box or pretty
software ? Finishing the product is just marketing and trying to make
a very pretty box to put the software in. When something is open
source and you want to sell it you are forced to make it the best
peace of code out there. Its what i call healthy competition. For me
open source translates into "If you think you can do better be my
guest" Finishing a product and making it closed source is just plain
wrong. Its  like stealing from the church basket. Every body shares
something and you want to take it and keep it for your self.