some advice needed to considering to move my w2k machine into a freebsd workstation.

W. D. WD at US-Webmasters.com
Tue Oct 26 20:47:34 PDT 2004

At 14:31 10/26/2004, Jian Guang Xu wrote:
>My current system follows:
>AMD Athlon 1600+, 1 Gigabytes RAM, 40 Giga harddrive, GeForce 2 with
>32 Mb, AC97 Onboard Audio Adaptor, D-Link DFE-538TX.
>
>The system got follow applications:
>W2K Workstation Professional runs very smooth right now.
>Firefox 1.0 for most of the web surfing. IE occasionally but nessary
>for some of the website I need to go to due to personally reason.
>Thunderbird for me email and newsgroup reading.
>VMWare to testing FreeBSD.
>ACT! 2005 as a CRM software(personal organizor as well) but I'm trying
>to move to a  internet application via www.freecrm.com
>OpenOffice currently runs in my system with MS Office removed.
>Acrobat 5.0 for form editing(Occasionally)
>MusicMatch for online radio (all the time)
>Realplayer for DVD/Movie(Occasionally)
>I have online conference calls using MS Media Player Plugin which is
>very important for me.
>Zonealarm as my firewall, Norton Antirus.
>I'm using a home network connected to Rogers High Speed via DHCP
>protocol, another machine is a XP laptop.
>
>My job is in Marketing field so I do need the system to be robust and
>more productivity. At the same time, I have the dream to play OS
>around and hack into the system at my spare time. To be honest, I'm
>pretty happy with my current system with all the feature I specified.
>
>Is there anybody could point out a way to play FreeBSD around and at
>the same time, I could perform my job easily? As I said, I need the
>Media Player plug in a lot, and any suggestion for a CRM software
>under BSD would be much appreciated.
>
>I gotta be very careful to change a system.
>
>I thank you for reading my nonsense post and hoping that  if somebody
>could give me some advice.
>
>JX

Hi JX,

It sounds like you have a nice Windows system.  My advice would
be to leave it exactly as it is.  For probably around $100, you can
buy a computer that's a few years old for a FreeBSD 'experimental'
system.  I don't recommend dual booting because there is a positive
probability that you will hose your current system.  If you use
a KVM switch, you can avoid duplicating the Keyboard, Video monitor,
and Mouse.

There is a lot of documentation out there about FreeBSD, but I've
compiled my notes into step-by-step procedures that can get you
up and running fairly quickly:
http://www.US-Webmasters.com/FreeBSD/Install/

Good luck.  Welcome to FreeBSD!

Start Here to Find It Fast!™ -> http://www.US-Webmasters.com/best-start-page/