duplicate ports

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Oct 26 02:47:54 PDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 11:53:19AM +0300, Petre Bandac wrote:
> xxl# pkg_info | grep ruby
> ruby-1.6.8.2004.07.28 An object-oriented interpreted scripting language
> ruby-1.8.2.p2_1     An object-oriented interpreted scripting language
> ruby-bdb1-0.2.1     Ruby interface to Berkeley DB revision 1.8x with
> full featu
> ruby-shim-ruby18-1.8.1.p3 A set of Ruby modules to provide Ruby 1.8
> functionalities
> ruby18-bdb1-0.2.2   Ruby interface to Berkeley DB revision 1.8x with
> full featu
> xxl#
>

> do I really need both the old version of an port and the new one ?

In this instance, no.  Certain ports are designed for you to be able
to install multiple versions of at the same time (eg. automake,
autoconf), but others aren't.  Usually you'll find that two versions
of the same port end up arguing over which one owns various files:
there should be a 'CONFLICTS' entry in the port that stops you
installing one over the other in that way, but there's no guarrantee
that all of the conflicts settings in the various ports are complete
or correct.

Generally if you use portupgrade it will remove older versions of
ports for you, although there will still be cases requiring manual
intervention.

> for example, if I want to portupgrade amavisd, it requires perl 5.8; can
> I have 2 versions of perl at the same time ? which one will be the
> "default" one ?

I think it is technically possible to have several different versions
of perl installed on one system, but it is rarely done as it leads to
a great deal of confusion.

The default perl version will be the one for which you last ran
'use.perl port' -- look at the settings that adds to the end of
/etc/make.conf to see which that is.  I'd advise you to install
perl-5.8.5 unless you have a load of business critical perl code that
you know won't run under it.  Pretty much all of the perl modules and
scripts in ports work perfectly under 5.8.5: the same is not true of
5.6.1 or 5.005.04.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way