perl vs php round 1

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Oct 26 02:25:57 PDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 07:18:02AM +0200, Gert Cuykens wrote:
> Can you do as much with perl as you can do with php ?

Yes, in the strict comp. sci. sense of "Turing Completeness" and yes
in the practical sense of what modules and extensions exist to help
you program stuff.  In fact, perl is generally better than PHP for
arbitrary tasks, as perl was always intended to be a general purpose
language, whereas PHP is still pretty much a web-scripting language
(yes, I know you /can/ use PHP for other purposes, but my point still
stands).

The same goes for any of the other high-level languages you might care
to mention: python, ruby, java etc.  Which (if any) you prefer is a
matter of personal taste.  But beware of supporting one or the other
of these too vocally on public fora, as the religious wars over "my
language is better than your language" tend to be many and bitter.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way