GPL vs BSD Licence

Graham Bentley gbentley at uk2.net
Mon Oct 25 00:38:05 PDT 2004

Hi List !

Perusing the Internet the other day I came across a short
interview with Linus Torvalds from a while back. He was
asked about the GPL vs BSD Licence.

As I dont fully understand the development process I was
wondering if anyone could comment on his reply below?

I (mis?)interpret this as follows :-

If you use some BSD code in some project that you turn into
proprietry code you just need to include the appropriate
acknowledgement statements - but you can exclude
anyone from using that new code / solution.

With the GPL you are explicitly giving away your right to do this
whilst at the same time leaving a the door open for others if they
want to use your code / solution.

Sorry if this has been discussed at length before on the list
but I think its an intersting topic and would welcome
enlightenment.