Audigy 2, Inspire and FreeBSD

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Sun Oct 24 16:41:44 PDT 2004

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 01:41:11PM +0200, Nicholas Wieland wrote:

> Hi all.
>   I'm a FreeBSD user from abuot two years now, and I love it.
>   I have a machine in my home network that I use as a "multimedia
>   station" - i.e. something that my family can use to listen to music or
>   watch a DVD without specific knowledge.
>   I'm very happy with it, and my family too, so thanks to the FreeBSD
>   hackers for such a piece of software !
>   Now, I'd really like to try the official emu10k1 driver for my Audigy
>   2 (now I'm using http://chibis.persons.gfk.ru/audigy/), but firstly

I thought the emu10k1 is only used up to the audigy 1 and they were using
a completely new chip for the audigy 2.  Is this not true?

>   I'd like to ask if there's something like the emuctrl tool that ships
>   with the unofficial driver.
>   The "problem" is that I have an Inspire system - 6 speakers + 1
>   subwoofer - and I don't know how to control the volume of every single
>   speaker.

I believe freebsd uses a nearly identical api to the oss drivers on
linux which means that a mixer has a limited number of controls, about
20 I think, and each control has a specific name so a device that has 4
generic line ins can use line1, line2, line3, but may be forced to call
the 4th one aux because only three of the controls are named line.  In
Linux, I know some drivers use multiple mixer (ugh) if they need more
controls.  Also, I think the dsp devices are also limited to two
channels so linux's emu10k1 uses /dev/dsp0, /dev/dsp1, /dev/dsp2 for 5.1
surround sound on the audigy.  Is all this true on freebsd as well?

Now the alsa drivers for linux get rid of all these restrictions and
provide a much better api using a standard library instead of raw
ioctl().  Is there any work for something similar on FreeBSD?

>   Does FreeBSD support a beast like mine ?

<snip>

--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C