First cvsup in sometime, and now I'm hosed

Mike Hauber m.hauber at mchsi.com
Sun Oct 24 11:07:07 PDT 2004

On Sunday 24 October 2004 01:39 pm, John Adams proclaimed:
> Hi, folks,
>
>  I ran a cvsup against my supfile, then a portupgrade -a,
> and now I'm hosed. For starts, ruby is complaining about
> an insecure version of OpenSSL, and will not install,
> leaving me without, well, portupgrade.
>
>  What have I done to myself, and how do I recover? Is
> this, by Hobson's choice, a good time to upgrade from
> 4.9? What should I provide to help tell what's going on
> with my box?
>
> All the best,
>
>  John A

This could be one of two things...

1.  In the past, you've installed a port that needed a
newer/more-secure version of OpenSSL and installed the port
version (or you've installed the port version of OpenSSL
intentionally).  Either case you're running the port
version.

2.  You're still using an old, insecure system-version of
OpenSSL.

If the first is true (ie, you're using the port version of
OpenSSL), try portupgrade -aRr.  You _may_ get away with
that, but I wouldn't recommend it.

If the second is true (more likely scenario), then you
_have_ to update your src and rebuild your system in order
to move on with your port upgrades.

My advice would be to update your source.  My last clean
install was from a 4.9-REL CD and I keep the updates coming
(now run 4.10-STABLE).  Every update went without any
glitches (of course as disclaimers go, everyone has
different situations).

HTH

Mike