FreeBSD 5.3 RC1 X Config

Alec Berryman alec at thened.net
Sat Oct 23 20:44:08 PDT 2004

begin  quotation of David Findlay on 2004-10-23 23:36:34 -0400:

> So I have a bootable FreeBSD system with X and KDE packages installed
> but not configured. Am I supposed to go run xorgconfig by hand from a
> regular shell afterwards? This asks for monitor vsync etc like the old
> linux ones did; the newer ones let you pick your monitor by name - I
> was hoping the X configuration I can't find in sysinstall would do
> this too.

I'd give 'Xorg -configure' a shot (from console as root).  Xorg's
autoconfiguration has worked much better for me than XFree86's.  See
the Handbook [1] for more information.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html