FreeBSD 5.3 RC1 X Config

David Findlay dfindlay at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 20:36:35 PDT 2004

I am a first time user of FreeBSD. I burned copies of the 5.3 RC1
install disks 1 and 2.
I booted from the 1st disk and went through the standard install,
selecting All packages.
The handbook says there is a configuration option for the X server but
it never gets to this for me, nor can I find it from the sysinstall
menu anywhere. Thinking I'd done something wrong I ran the install
again and the same thing happened. In each case the standard install
does be base copies then lets you pick yuor distribution, and I pick
all,then it ask for some config like the mouse, ttys, timezone, users,
root password. Finally it asks if I'd like to go back the config menu
to make some final changes. Once I say yes I am back in the
configuration menu and there's no way out that doesn't just exit
sysinstall, which may be where it would go if I'd said no.

So I have a bootable FreeBSD system with X and KDE packages installed
but not configured. Am I supposed to go run xorgconfig by hand from a
regular shell afterwards? This asks for monitor vsync etc like the old
linux ones did; the newer ones let you pick your monitor by name - I
was hoping the X configuration I can't find in sysinstall would do
this too.

Also, if I do the xorgconfig, how do I configure it to run KDE on top of X?

Any tips greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave