freebsd and MS Active Directory

Danny MacMillan flowers at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Oct 23 01:10:25 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 10:08:37PM -0600, Duane Winner wrote:

> Is it possible they are using DHCP for all hosts -- even servers, but
> doing static mapping to MAC address? If so, are there instances where AD
> hosts must configured as AD leaf objects? (I'm just scraping the back of

I should point out that I'm no Active Directory guru.  We use AD to hold
login accounts, groups, computers, &c.  Vanilla stuff.  If there's some
kind of voodoo chocolate or strawberry Active Directory stuff, we don't
do it.  But from my understanding, the answer to your above question is
'no'.  Our FreeBSD server is in exactly the position you describe.  It
obtains its address via DHCP; it always gets the same reserved address.
Our Active Directory is completely ignorant of the existence of the
FreeBSD machine.  IP addresses are provided by DHCP, not AD, and names
are provided by DNS, not AD.  AD registers names in DNS but it doesn't
control DNS (i.e. it won't destroy what you put there yourself).  Note
that our DNS is not backed by LDAP, as I've heard is possible.  In that
case AD might take a more pivotal role.  I'd be interested to know,
once this is all over, if that's what they have going on.

Danny